Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hola!

Hello again blog world...

This week we went to the Roman Ruins and an ancient fortress all within a very strong person's stones throw from Pamplona.

This is from an ancient fortress in Navarra, Spain. It is an old painting I think of the crucifixion. I liked it a lot. :)

This trip has made me well-versed in Catholicism. Im not sure what this is, but it was really intricate and pretty. Also, I couldnt use my flash, hence the blurriness. 


 A sculpture crucifix on the wall of the church at the ancient fortress of Artajona.

The entrance to the church.

I would love to walk out of my church every day and see this view of the pueblo below. :) 

another view of the pueblo (little town, village)

This pipe was used to bring water to the fortress, while allowing the walls and doors to not be intruded. This is from around the 12th century. 

Celtic designs on the church at the fortress. It depicts San Fermin and his life of travel, ending with his demise of being gored by a bull. 


A really steep passageway at the fortress.
 More of the fortress. I loved the old walls.


 Cortney and Lupe posing at the top of the fortress.
A view from the opposite side of the fortress. 



This is our tour guide, Victor. He was hilarious. 


Another view. Sorry there are so many views, but I think it's absolutely gorgeous. :)


...


Victor pointing out that we can almost see France and other areas of Spain from the top of the fortress. 


This is my roommate Kelly from Clemson. She's ridic. :)

The front of the church at the fortress.



again...


dead bird at the fortress. 


The outside walls of the fortress. Also, from the 12th century. 

Wide view walking up to the fortress where Napoleon tried to invade.



These are the Roman ruins located about 45 minutes from Pamplona. Only about 20% of this community has been excavated.


View of the river that the ancient Romans could see many moons ago.


Pretty. :)


This is Hugo and Johnny. They think they are gangster. They are not.


More ruins. And poppies growing in them! 


It was really cold and I got sick at the ruins. This is Johnny's version of keeping warm! 


More ruins. I like that you could actually see a column in this one. 

Wide view of the ruins. Hard to believe that people in Jesus' day were at this very place living and working.

....







Roman art that was excavated from this site. 

Part of a cylinder


I dont know what this says, but it was really cool looking. 
 Cortney is praising the sun gods for letting the sun peek through the clouds. It was freezing cold.

again....


Ive never seen a semi-grown man scream and jump around so much from a tiny bug.


GQ?


Evil ants. 


our first classroom! 


Cortney loving spanish! 

One of many times throughout the day that Allen would bang his head on his desk.

Adios for now! Love to you all! leave comments! :) 

--Callie

6 comments:

kaitlin said...

you say "i would love to see this view every day when i leave church" as if you attend church every day...?
jk
ily

Callie* said...

hahaha thats rude kaitlin. I would like to see it when i leave church, a veces. :) LOVE YOU.

Paula said...

so glad you posted what I was thinking Kaitlin!! Love you girls

kevinfender said...

What view did you see when you walked out of church today? Oh, and I think it's spelled "Holla".

Callie* said...

Yall are so mean. We talked about God at my dinner table last night. My house mom is not catholic like everyone else here, she is cristiano! :)

Andrew said...

my great uncle once quoted St. John of the Cross, a spaniard, to me when i was younger and scared of something. i forget why exactly, but it went:

“In tribulation immediately draw near to God with confidence, and you will receive strength, enlightenment, and instruction."

it was in spanish, translated into polish, that i now dug up in english with the help of my cousin. :P just thought i'd share some more roman catholic-ness with ya!

the states miss you! get a shot of the night skyline. i bet it looks pretty awesome.