Tuesday, June 7, 2011

UPDAAAAAAAAAAATE!


It's hard to believe I have already been in Spain for two solid weeks! I think homesickness is starting to hit most of us, we have a "grueling" regimen every day... No but seriously, I think most people are starting to miss their families and normalcy in Texas. :)

This past weekend we went and toured a section of the Camino Santiago (more about who Santiago is in a minute), we went to a village in France, and a village in Spain. It was very fun. And I'm speaking lots of Spanglish.

It took forever for me to upload all of these pictures so that's why my post has been so delayed. So here we go... this is a picture I took out the bus window on the VERY windy road to the French village. 


This is salmon pizza. I'm in love with it. It was so good. And I need to find a good recipe for it! :)

The French village had some cute, very narrow streets that I liked to take a lot of pictures of.



This is a cool door that I saw in one of the neighborhoods. 


And this is the handle. Legit. 


everyone hard at work in class. 

The river running through the village. It was gorgeous. 


More of the river running through the village. There was a bazaar there this weekend, with local cheesemakers, artisans and spice makers.



Pretty flowers. 


Fire hydrants. I love taking pictures of them. They are all so unique. 


This weird man at a weird church we saw. 


Haha, I took this for my friend Monique. 


A weird wall with black handprints. Idk what was going on with it, but I thought it was pretty cool. it was really random, right by the river. 

'

A 6 foot tall bottle of vino that apparently is a popular stop for tourists. 


Well, I don't speak French, but this row of buildings was built in 1789. 


One of the doors to the buildings that were built in 1789.


Sheep//Goats at the bazaar. 


This is the name of the village where we stopped in France. It was seriously one of the most quaint and peaceful villages I have ever been in. But the language barrier was quite difficult! 


Haha, Cortney with the view as we got to our stretch of the Camino de Santiago. 


Silly pic at the edge. Leilani, me, Cortney and Cindy. 


A gringa sandwich on  a Mexican bun. 

Alex was supposed to be taking a picture of us, but instead he was taking a video and happened to take a shot when I was yelling at him. lol This is me, Lupe, Chelsea, Leilani, Cindy and Cortney. Mi amigas mejores! :) 


The day was really overcast, windy and chilly, and I thought this headstone was a perfect shot with the gray sky behind it! Muy interesante! 


The beginning of our brief trek down the Camino Santiago, and the directions to the various locations in near proximity to where we started. 

The first part of our walk on the Camino Santiago. 


A miniature waterfall that I saw off to the side of Camino right as we were approaching Roncevalles. It was gorgeous! 

The iglesia at Roncesvalles. 


This is exactly what you are thinking. Skulls and skeletons located under the platform in the moratorium, dating back to the Middle Ages. They are in the cemetery of the people of Roncesvalles. 


Inside the church at Roncesvalles. 


Jesus. These crucifixes are everywhere, and I am amazed at how beautiful, intricate and life-like they all are. 


A statue that was decapitated in the 1600's because it fell off it's platform. 


The Stained Glass in the Cathedral at Roncesvalles. 

Sancho the Fuerte. Our tour guide told us the story of how he fought in a really important war for the Navarrians (Spaniards) and he was so tall that he would be a great NBA star if he was alive today. He was over 7 feet tall. This is his tomb.


The chains from the battle at Roncesvalles. They have been preserved for thousands of years. Really cool. 


Double decker bus! We've taken a couple of these to our different excursions, but this was the first that I had taken a picture!  :) 


This has been a very fun trip because there is so much history in Spain. I am learning so much about San Fermin and other saints and important Spanish historical figures. The coolest thing so far is that we kept hearing all these stories about Santiago last weekend, since the Camino Santiago is the path he took, but I didn't know why he was so important. One of my teachers, Elena, went on the tour with us, and I asked her what Santiago's english name was, because everyone kept saying he was a disciple or apostle of Jesus.... Come to find out, it was James. Who they call Saint James. So I can now say I walked approximately 10 football fields of the same length that James walked. 

Pretty neat. 

Well, we're about to go tour the Presidential Palace, so I better jet! :) 

Have a lovely day! 

4 comments:

kaitlin said...

how bazaar

Andrew said...

i like that you're half way around the world, trekking through the mountains and remote winding roads, and still wear flip flops everywhere.

Callie* said...

its like, obviously. What else would I be wearing?

Kate- MISS YO FACE.

kevinfender said...

I know this is unrelated, but...I forgot to play qrank in Maine and New Hampshire. Probably didn't matter though because I just played at the Boston airport and the location said Portland, tx. Interesting, huh? I'll look more at your latest post tomorrow. Pics are pretty neat. The skulls made me think of Cade and Kate in stephenville because you are not there to cook for them.